Life's made rookies of us all...
Sunday, April 1, 2007
My Drama Queen
If you had the week that I have had, you'd deserve a big ol' drink. A drink, and possibly a Valium. Seriously, what started off well eventually found its way through boring, nerve racking, frustrating, shocking, and then finally to just plain illegal. The funny thing is, the question of legality of the situation was not of my doing, and yet somehow I seem to be in the middle of it. Have you ever just sat down and wondered how exactly it is that you and your sibling were raised by the same people? I can honestly say that I have. How is it possible for one sibling to navigate through everyday life generally OK, while the other feels compelled to stop and create confrontation and problems at every possible point along the way? Seriously, if my sibling could ride a horse, I'd run to church because I would be 100% sure that a swarm of locusts and the rest of the apocalypse would not be far behind.

I'll admit it freely, my sister and I have never really gotten along. Growing up, we were complete opposites: myself the introverted band nerd wielding an oboe and a presentable report card, while she was the outgoing softball player who was friends with three quarters of her high school class. She never let me forget it. Currently we manage to get along with each other when we have to (at least I do), but if we are forced to spend extended periods of time together, we're screwed. Recently, things have been vary unstable with both of us. I've had to re-evaluate a bunch of things and essentially start all over, while she has been struggling with stuff of her own. However, I think that I've dealt with my stuff and have finally begun to get things back together. In contrast, the drama continues for her. So much so that as tough as it is to admit it, I decided not to visit until the last possible night she was in town recently, and only for a few minutes. There's just too much drama there for one person to take. She once spoke to me about filling out an application to be on MTV's The Real World. I honestly think that if they ever got that application the producers must have decided that she was too dramatic for the show. Too dramatic for The Real World...that's like being too young to go on the rides at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch.

Would you like fries with your anxiety over the smallest things?

So what it all boils down to is that I need to figure out a better way to deal with it all. This is not just something that I can ignore and eventually make it all go away. I can't afford to spend every waking minute while she is in town hiding out at home, hoping that I won't accidentally have to clean up with the messes that she leaves behind. Seriously, this weekend was spent running information back and forth on the phone between an unnamed law enforcement agency while trying to appease my parents who still must constantly wonder where it all went wrong with us. I need to figure this whole thing out, figure out a plan to deal with it all. Ah, strategy.

posted in the style of Andrew @ 1:52 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The Essential Information

Name: Andrew
Home: Tucson, Arizona
Occupation: Just a student, slaving for that Ph.D.
Rants and Ramblings
History New and Ancient
Useful Advice
  • Don't worry about the world ending today...it's already tomorrow in Australia
Currently Watching:

Scrubs - Hey Julie

Currently Listening To:

The Fray - Dixie

My Faves
Slave To:
Free Blogger Templates
© The Second Time Around