Life's made rookies of us all...
Saturday, January 27, 2007
My Quiznos Sandwich
It's no secret that I am slightly particular about where I go for lunch. Seriously, I spend all day working at a lab bench, and lunch is my hour escape for the day. I want to spend it somewhere nice, and not near the lab or any semblance of work. Thus, I usually go off campus. I have found a few places which I enjoy and regularly frequent, but the trick is to space out how often you go to one restaurant. I don't want to become a "regular" at a place, because then the people who work there begin to feel as if they know you, and then they try to initiate social interaction, and that just leads to a whole different can of worms. Casual conversation is nice, but having a waitress come up and ask for the 793rd time if everything is alright followed by a serious conversation about her boyfriend's erectile dysfunction and it's impact on their relationship and thus global warming is where I tend to draw the line.

Recently, aside from the usual places (Chipotle, Foronomo's, Rincon Market, etc.), I have recently added Quiznos subs to the list. I first went to Quiznos quite some time ago and I remember not liking the food that I had ordered. This lead to a dry spell between me and Quiznos...my loyalty so Subway could simply not be shaken). This changed however when I went back with some people at work. I tried a sandwich and decided that it was probably the best sub that I had had in quite some time. Since then, I have frequented the restaurant many times. Recently, I was watching the rain fall down from a streetlamp inside Quiznos when I noticed that it began flying sideways and fluttering to the ground. It was snowing. And that brings me to my story.

Surrender to Quiznos...mmmm, your disposable income is TOASTY!

I was standing in line waiting to take home dinner. I wanted Quiznos for a quick grab and go dinner, and was trying to beat the clock home so I could catch Grey's Anatomy (priorities, people!). Anyway, the moment that I walked in I knew that I was in trouble. Now, I'm all for cheap labor. Seriously, I'm a graduate student (the literal secondary definition of cheap labor). But I do find that the High School age work force leaves something to be desired. I went to the back of the line and waited for my turn. In front of me was an extremely heavy-set teenager who was having a strange conversation with the kid who was making his sandwich.

"I'm not harassing you, I'm a paying customer." the kid was saying to his sandwich maker. A lively exchange followed: "Don't forget, six pieces of cheese." "Not that sauce, the other one...". I soon found out that the guy ordering his sandwich not only knew the kid behind the counter, but worked at the Quiznos himself. He was off that night. Now, if I worked at a restaurant, I certainly wouldn't eat there. I would be so sick of the food by that point that eating there would be out of the question. Ten minutes later, the guys gargantuan sandwich was in the end-stages of completion. "Don't put any tomatoes on it...I'm allergic to them, remember?" If I were making his sandwich I would be intently eyeing the Ketsup by that point.

posted in the style of Andrew @ 1:57 PM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The Essential Information

Name: Andrew
Home: Tucson, Arizona
Occupation: Just a student, slaving for that Ph.D.
Rants and Ramblings
History New and Ancient
Useful Advice
  • Don't worry about the world ending today...it's already tomorrow in Australia
Currently Watching:

Scrubs - Hey Julie

Currently Listening To:

The Fray - Dixie

My Faves
Slave To:
Free Blogger Templates
© The Second Time Around