Life's made rookies of us all...
Friday, January 12, 2007
My Coupling
Why is it when two people are together that everything becomes a struggle? Sometimes, even the most simple decisions (i.e. whether or not to take a trip) inevitably turn into hour long debates. The approval of the other person in the relationship is needed so much that simple decisions cannot be made with out it. Hopefully, eating is not one of those decisions, but if the survival of the species hinged on the ability of couples to perform simple tasks and decision making skills, then we would be extinct in six months. And after all the decision making and schedule tweaking is over, it seems that couples oftentimes complicate the issue so much that they sometimes forget about what they actually were discussing in the first place. It's frustrating for me and all being an outsider, and I pride myself on being able to keep the simple things simple.




Advertised as "perfect for any couple"...yikes.


I think it's the cohesiveness of couples and all that simply seems to bother me so much. When the phrases "I feel like" and "I want to" become "We feel like" and "Do it now or I want a divorce" is when you know you are in deep shit. That's also when I begin to loose interest in people. I should write a mathematical proof for it or something. When I becomes we...then go fuck yourself. Still more annoying are those that are connected at the hip and refuse to do anything by themselves. Some comic I heard a long time ago summed it up best: Your girl or boyfriend as the case may be is sort of like a tattoo. When you first decide you want one, you're not sure exactly what kind you want. Then when you get one, you are all excited and can't wait to show it off. Then it gets annoying, infective, and you finally have to get it surgically removed later.

The worst is when one member of the couple decides that she is going to do her best to change the other (I normally don't like to use he or she in such an accusation, but let's be honest). If you can't function with one person maintaining his own personality, then something is seriously flawed with the relationship. I know there are people out there who attempt to do this to their partner, and I simply think to myself, "stop it...we don't need another you in the world, we already have one and that's enough."


I think this one is more to the point...

So why all this bitterness toward couples? Philosophically, I have absolutely no problem with them. It's when they start effecting my life that I get annoyed. Currently, I am waiting for a call back from one of them to find out if I am going anywhere this weekend. I could very easily climb in my car, drive off, and have a very pleasant time by myself, but company always makes the trip better. However, when you have to wait 20+ minutes for people to finally get their act together and simply make up their mind as to whether or not they want to go, that's 30 minutes of my life that's wasted. Was there a good reason for wasting my time...no. They just can't make up their mind. Ahhh, there should be serious consequences for such a thing.

posted in the style of Andrew @ 5:01 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At January 15, 2007 at 8:29 AM, Blogger Jinn said…

    hmm...I'd honestly be curious if I'm (we're) an inspiration for any of that, as I'm positive (we) are, but sidenote-ly, Kim long ago had the idea of just having me make every decision in terms of where to eat, etc - which is alternately helpful and frustrating, but usually works, as we're both pretty laid-back

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
The Essential Information

Name: Andrew
Home: Tucson, Arizona
Occupation: Just a student, slaving for that Ph.D.
Rants and Ramblings
History New and Ancient
Useful Advice
  • Don't worry about the world ending today...it's already tomorrow in Australia
Currently Watching:

Scrubs - Hey Julie

Currently Listening To:

The Fray - Dixie

My Faves
Slave To:
Free Blogger Templates
© The Second Time Around