Traffic accidents are a curious thing. Whenever I see one on the freeway or wherever I am headed, I'm not 100% sure how I should react. Part of me wants to pull over, ask if anyone needs help, and then offer up my cell phone so that the people involved can call the police/ambulance/ex husband/rabid lawyer...whatever suits their fancy. Then, part of me just wants to get to where I need to be going because (more often then not) I'm really late and cannot be bothered by the likes of roadside carnage. Then, there is the obvious part of me that lurks within us all...the watcher. Yes, the one who is going along on his merry way at a good pace, and then...wham, slams on his breaks to get a better look and the path of destruction which sits before him. This inevitably causes the rest of the traffic to slow down, but I consider it a favor to them so they can get a better look. Seriously, who doesn't want to see burnt out tires and blood during their morning commute?
UPS really takes that "eliminate the competition" thing seriously. What can Brown kill for you?
The other thing about traffic accidents that makes me a horrible person is the fact that I have a need to see exactly who's fault the accident was, and what types of cars were involved. For example, if a Dodge Neon hits a Ford Excursion...yikes that will ruin someones weekend. But if a Porshe hits a Lamborghini...well, que sera sera. It's strange, but I feel oddly vindicated when I see fancy cars in wrecks, and I don't know why. The insurance premiums are high enough on those type of cars that I feel as if I simply don't have to care about the people involved because I'm sure they will be flown first class to a wonderful hospital and be treated in a hospital gown designed by Versace. Still however, what makes me even worse is the fact that I feel the need to compare every car to my own involved in an accident. If I see my car (a Chevy Equinox) involved in a fender bender, I feel immediately compelled to side with the driver my car. Screw the other guy! Who cares if the Equinox got hit doing 75 in a 45 while turning left at a red light! The other fucker should have been watching what the fuck the Equinox was going and gotten out of the way! Ass! |